cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_plowford
Level 2

Possible to Install other Install packages

Hello all.

I have gone through most of the tutorials included.
I was wondering if you could use Install Shield to create a install package that
installs other install packages?

For example if I wanted to install AutoCAD and Adobe Distiller, could I use Install shield to create one install package that would then install both programs using there install package.

I am sure there are other products that can do this, but I was told by one of our IT guys that Install Shield could also do this. I have yet to find out how in the tuts and help.

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

Depending on your requirements, yes, you can do that.

We wrote an InstallScript project that does nothing but manage the installation of our suite of products. Its UI presents the choices of our products that the customer is licensed for, and allows for new installs, upgrades, and maintenance (adding and removing products).

I think that an InstallScript project is the best way to go in this situation, because it can easily be set up to leave no footprint for itself and thus can act strictly as a controller for other installs.
0 Kudos
dan_galender
Level 10

Kathy's suggestion is a good one. Another approach would be to create a setup Prerequsite so that the installation of, say, AutoCad could check to see if Adobe Distiller is installed on the system and if not, install it prior to launching the AudoCad installer. This would require the use of a setup launcher.
0 Kudos