cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
austin2359
Level 6

Positioning Prerequisite install window on top of base installer

Can this be influenced in installshield?

While installing a prerequisite, sometimes the original installer sits on top, which confuses the end user.

Ie I install program "a" and it calls program "b" as a prerequisite. But the dialogue window for "a" still sits on top, and confuses the user
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

I think this should be on Win7 or Vista.

I'm not sure if this can be controlled at the prerequisite phase, but can be handled during installation using LaunchApp with specific parameters.
0 Kudos
austin2359
Level 6

rrinblue22 wrote:
I think this should be on Win7 or Vista.

I'm not sure if this can be controlled at the prerequisite phase, but can be handled during installation using LaunchApp with specific parameters.

A way to get around this is to use silent install (if possible), but that has its drawbacks.
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

In that case you can opt to install only the prerequisite silently
0 Kudos
austin2359
Level 6

rrinblue22 wrote:
In that case you can opt to install only the prerequisite silently

Well the problem with this is anti-viruses sometimes mistake the silent install for a virus.

I'd like to be able to change the focus when the prerequisite is launched.

I'm still not sure how.
0 Kudos
austin2359
Level 6

It was a long solution, but my eventual solution was to design a vbscript that set the focus (and this required paying attention to timing with "wait statements" and using shortcut keys before setting the window). The vbscript would not execute as a custom action, but I included it as a hidden prerequisite, then kill it with a custom action.

To launch it, I need a "launcher" script command line as it loops and "looks" for the window, so the "exit code" will not return while it is looping and it will hold up the install. Then it activates the window as soon as it appears.
0 Kudos