Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alancc
Level 6

Plain text version of setup file

Jump to solution

Hi,

In the past, I use Wise Installation Studio, which uses a setup project in plain text format. Thus I can easily create a setup project for one product. Then take it as a template.

Later if I want to create a new setup project for another product. I can just make a copy of the template, then open the copy in a text editor, and use "Find & Replace" feature to replace all the old product name & version with the new product name & version easily.

However, now I find in IS Express, the setup project file is stored as a binary file, which makes the change of the product name & version very difficult.

Is there a way to convert the setup project file into plain text version?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Within Installshield Professional and Premier it is possible to save the project in an XML format which would allow you to work in this way - however this functionality is not available in the Express version.

In addition the Professional and Premier versions also allow you to save the projects as an .idt format which is a template project.

More information on what is and is not possible compared against the different Installshield editions can be found here:

https://www.flexerasoftware.com/media/datasheets/datasheet-is-compare-editions.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Within Installshield Professional and Premier it is possible to save the project in an XML format which would allow you to work in this way - however this functionality is not available in the Express version.

In addition the Professional and Premier versions also allow you to save the projects as an .idt format which is a template project.

More information on what is and is not possible compared against the different Installshield editions can be found here:

https://www.flexerasoftware.com/media/datasheets/datasheet-is-compare-editions.pdf

0 Kudos