cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Performing Major Upgrade over other products

Hello,

We are creating a suite install that contains a bunch of features/components from our individual product installs and I would like it so that the suite install will perform a major upgrade over the individually installed products if they exist on the machine.

I just need to know how I author the upgrade table so that if it detects any version of the individually installed packages that it would perform the major upgrade, no mater what version is installed.

Since this is our first release of the Suite install we are starting it's version number off at 1.0.0.0, but the individual install packages can range from 1.0 to 10.1 and they are going to contiune to increase as we create more versions.

Is there anyway in the upgrade table of the suite installer to specify any version of the individual product to perform an upgrade on or do I have to pre-set the version range so that it will look only for those versions?

Now if I use the 1.0.0.0 in Minimum Version and ***ALL_VERSIONS*** as Maximum Version will this use the maximum version of the suite install or will this use the version of the app that I am checking?

By the way all the Upgrade Codes of the individual install packages are different so they should not conflict.

Anyways if there is a good way to handle this can someone let me know?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As long as the Upgrade Code of the other package is different, then leaving the upper bound empty should be fine. Please see the help topic "Upgrade Table" for a bit more information.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay so I would leave the Maximum Version blank and this will then mean that it will look at minimum version and up? Do I leave the Include Maximum Version selection to No or do I set it to yes?

Can I use the ***ALL_VERSIONS*** in the Maximum Version instead of leaving it blank?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Yep, that's how we do it also. Minimum left blank and maximum is set to ***ALL_VERSIONS***
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay this is still not working. I must have some thing wrong.

I have a basic install of our Suite installed and then I run one of the individual installs of the suite and it does not seem to detect that the suite is installed.

Here is what it looks like in the upgrade table:

Do I still have an entry that is incorrect?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Does the upgrade code that you display belong to the suite installer or to a prior product? To get this to work, you'll need a major upgrade entry with the upgrade code for every product that you want to be uninstalled.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Yes the Upgrade code is correct for the Suite and all the individual installs are supose to detect, display a message and exit.

If the individual installs exist and you install the suite it should detect and perform the major upgrade. But this will need work as if the verison number of any of the apps are larger than what is being installed will cause an issue of being removed, but not installs as the installer seems to turn off components if the version of the file that exists on the machine is newer, even if the file is to be removed from the major upgrade.

Anyways I did fix the detection issue, now just have to worry about the upgrade issue mentioned above.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

I'm not sure we're on the same page; let me explain what I meant in more detail.

If I understood your intention, what you need to do in the suite installer is have multiple upgrade entries. For example, let's say you have 3 products, which have 3 different upgrade codes of 1, 2, and 3, and a suite installer with an upgrade code of 4.

In the first release of the suite installer, you would need 3 upgrade entries, one each for upgrades codes of 1, 2, and 3, each targeting all versions of those upgrade codes. That will result in any versions of the 3 products being uninstalled when suite installer is installed.

In the second and subsequent releases of the suite installer, you will have 4 major upgrade entries, one each for products 1, 2 and 3 targeting all versions and one for 4 targeting only previous versions.

In the individual product installs, you would detect the presence of product 4 and abort if found. Your upgrade entry in each individual product install would only have to handle upgrades from that one individual product, since the install won't even run if the suite installer has been detected.
0 Kudos