cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ussraf
Level 6

Per machine silent installation cannot register features

Hey,

If you do a per-user SILENT installation (without setting ALLUSERS), you'd find your features won't be registered!!

You can check this after the silent install - do a modify install in Add/Remove Program panel and try enter your product's CustomSetup panel, you would see your features are all listed with "X" (indicating they are not installed, but you know they are installed because you can see files are copied, registers are set and they should work fine).

But if you do a per-machine SILENT install(ALLUSERS=1), everything comes OK. Is there a reason for this? Or this is a bug?:confused:

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

How are you running the silent installation? If you create an MSI log file, is there any information there?
0 Kudos
ussraf
Level 6

RobertDickau wrote:
How are you running the silent installation? If you create an MSI log file, is there any information there?

Hi, there is a log, a strange thing is when I use WiLogUtl.exe to check, there is a line:

Component: NewComponent1; Installed: Absent; Request: Local; Action: Local; Client State: Unknown

I'm not sure why this state is Unknown. I compared with other workable .msi, there is usually no such "Client State: Unknown". There is also a misleading of my thread title, I think it's not related to per-machine or per-user installation, although correcting ALLUSERS=1 can really make a workaround, but I do see other .msi can successfully do a silent install in both per-machine or per-user installation.

Still investigating..
0 Kudos