cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Per-Machine issues with Basic MSI setup

Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions to this issue.

I have a setup that can install several product levels using a property called "ProductEdition". When an admin user installs the product and runs it, all the settings and values are configured correctly. However, when I log in as a standard user with user permissions the setup appears to run again and changes everything to the base ProductEdition instead of maintaining the ProductEdition selected by the administrator.

Here are some facts:
Testing OS: Vista64
ProductEdtion: Set in property table, value set to base version
ALLUSERS=1
DesktopFolder et. al. all look good.

Event Viewer reports:
1. Detection of product '{MY-PRODUCT-GUID}', feature 'Core' failed during request for component '{COMPONENT-GUID}'

2. Detection of product '{MY-PRODUCT-GUID}', feature 'Core', component '{ANOTHER-COMPONENT-GUID}' failed. The resource 'C:\Users\\Documents\\\' does not exist.

3. There are a few more items like this in the Event Viewer.

While I know that the MSI engine is being triggered by per-user settings within these components, what I cannot explain is why the ProductEdition always reverts back to basic instead of honoring what was originally installed.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

In looking at this some more I noticed that only one of my components has the per-user issue. The other error messages says that the application cannot detect the component. Yet the component's file and the component's registry entry (found in HKCR\CLSID\{3A0D3620-8CA8-4A44-B0E4-8F77E6D365D7}\InprocServer32) exist where I expect them to exist.
0 Kudos