cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amuniz
Level 3

Paths to resources

Here goes....

I have an MSI installer. I have a resources directory in the same directory as my .ism project. The resources directory contains files that are to be installed on the target machine. All this works fine.

Now, I want to check to see what directories are under this resources file before I copy the data to the target machine. How do I do this? I cannot seem to figure out how the 'paths' work. HELP!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
mumbles
Level 7

You can dynamically load directories and not hard code which files to include in your setup package, do you mean that?

Or am i misunderstanding you?
0 Kudos
amuniz
Level 3

That is not what I mean.

This is hard to explain but here goes.

- I have a resources directory that has data that will be copied to the target machine.
- The resources directory is located in the same directory as the .ism project.
- Before I copy this data over to the target machine I want to check the resources directory and see what directories are there (because the build system will add directories to this resource directory and I just want to see what they are).
- My problem is: what is the path/code/syntax that allows me to check the resources directory. I am using the function FindAllDirs and cannot get the right syntax for the first argument which is the directory path.
- I just do not know what the syntax is for the path of the current directory or whatever directory to start in.

Hope this helps. I just really do not know the correct verbiage to use here. If I say current or working directory, I think my point will be missed.

Thanks Again!
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

ohhh i think i've got you now...

ok, under the media folder within your project, click on the 'Path Variables' link. within here you can define a path and name a variable to point to that path. Does that help? Or do you need things to be conditionally done? If you need conditional things to be done, i'm not even sure i'd want to use installshield for that.

How is it possible that you don't know what's going to be in a directory every time?
0 Kudos
amuniz
Level 3

once this path variable is setup, how do I use it?
I have set this up before and could not use it in installscript code.

Also, a build script is ran than compiles code and creates these directories in the resources directory. The "powers" that be want to just change the build script and not touch the installer when changes are needed.

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Well one of two things needs to occur, in my limited understanding of what is going on there.

You may want to use dynamic linking. Instead of hardcoding any paths.

or

ask your build people to be more flexible. 🙂 That's about all i can tell ya, unless someone a bit more experienced comes in here.
0 Kudos