cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snoopstah
Level 7

Patch install creating two entries in add/remove

I am using installscript MSI project
We have released our major install as version 2.6.27 (it is digitally signed using a pfx file which i created with signtool)
I have created an upgrade version 2.6.29 (digitally signed with the same pfx file)
I then created patch using patch design (digitally signed with the same pfx file)

When installing the patch on Windows XP, all is perfect.

When installing the patch on Vista, there are two entries in add/remove programs.

Registry shows:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{BD76AECE-6647-4297-8251-817B1711D1BA}
Display Version = 2.6.29.0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{BD76AECE-6647-4297-8251-817B1711D1BA}
Display Version = 2.6.27.0

I also noted that a function within my OnPatchUIAfter that executed RegDBSetKeyValueEx to HKLM has not been executed.

All this is indicating incorrect privileges are being used.

I have attached the /verbose log for perusal.

What is wrong with the patch install on Vista OS?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Snoopstah
Level 7

If I run the update.exe by clicking "run as administrator" ALL my problems are gone.

How do I get the update.exe to run with correct privileges?

I am logged into the machine as a local administrator when running update.exe
The installshield full build of setup.exe has Required Elevation Level set to "Highest Available".

What am I doing wrong?

I have implemented the hotfix to no avail.
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q113652&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_HOTFIX_1_1&dialogID=20689108&stateId=0%200%2020687265
0 Kudos
Snoopstah
Level 7

Please help, I need to release this patch ASAP !
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Just a little heads up because I have gone through a similar problem with the application I build using InstallShield 2008. When you created 2.6.29 you probably shouldn't have touched the Upgrade GUID. If it did change, it sees it as a second application and would be the reason why 2.6.27 and 2.6.29 show up in Add/Remove Programs. Only supposed to change the Upgrade GUID when the major (2) or minor (6) versions change.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

As for the option to run the setup as admin... I am looking for that as well. I did see an parameter for Require Administrative Privileges in the Summary Information stream under General. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Snoopstah
Level 7

My upgrade code has not changed. If I install on any OS other than Vista it works perfectly. The problem is ONLY on Vista/2008 OS.

If I build the same project in IS 2010, all is perfect. So I ended up building with the eval edition of 2010 and releasing that patch. WE have since purchased 2010 and hopefully I shouldn't run into as many vista issues now.
0 Kudos