cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eddiexuk
Level 3

Patch Design

Hi,
My developers have givern me some assembilly files and i need to create a patch to rollout to the existing .msi installed on my estate.

So i have created a new patch configuration. added the previous setup files (.msi), when i go to add the lastest setup files (.exe) it tries to launch the .exe and fails because a dependincy isnt installed on the computer im running install shield on. Unfortunatly I cant install this because its a x86 app and my machine is x64. I dont understand why it tries to launch the app in the first place??

All help welcome!

Cheers,
Eddie
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

The 'Latest' files should actually be a rebuilt copy of the *.msi package that contains the new assemblies.

What I think you're seeing is InstallShield thinking you've got a setup.exe installer, and it's trying to do an Administrative Install to get at the *.msi file inside (via the /a parameter).

So, rebuild your setup, and specify only the new MSI as the 'Latest' and see if that helps.
0 Kudos
Eddiexuk
Level 3

Hi Cary
Thanks for your response. Yes you’re right, Unfortunately I only has the assemblies from the developers. So im looking for the best way to get a patch out from these files?

I have the software already out in my environment and want to update it with the new assemblies files I’ve been given. Unfortunately I’m not that familiar with Install Shield, but this is what the last systems admin used to roll the packages out.

From what i read, i can create an .msp file with is like an update to the package, and roll this out via SMS?

If you have any update best practices documentation that would be great?

Cheers,
Eddie
0 Kudos