cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam1234567
Level 2

Passing arguments to a .NET Installer Class in 2012 LE?

I'm using Installshield 2012 Limited Edition with the Visual Studio 2012 RC. I'm in the process of converting a Visual Studio Deployment Project to InstallShield, and I've hit a snag.

I have a .NET custom action (an Installer class) that gets called with my product. In the old VDPROJ, I added this custom action through the Custom Actions screen, which allowed me to (among other things) specify arguments that would get passed to the action. However, it looks like the Custom Actions screen in Installshield is for unmanaged actions, and using a .NET Installer class is just a matter of checking a checkbox on the file within the Files screen. However, I don't see any means of specifying arguments. I seem mention of a Custom Actions Arguments dialog on the internet, but I've so far been unable to locate it. Is this something that's missing from LE, or am I simply looking in the wrong place?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Keerthana
Level 8

Hi,

I am currently working on this issue with my engineering team and would be able to provide further information once I hear from them.

Thanks for your patience on the same.
0 Kudos
Keerthana
Level 8

Hello,

Thanks for your patience on this issue!

In ISLE using the EXE custom action from the “Custom Actions” view this requirement can be achieved. Kindly right click on any of the desired option listed and select “New EXE” to insert the custom action at that position. This EXE custom action needs to launch the relevant installer class together with the desired arguments.

Please note that InstallShield Premier and Professional Editions have the Components view and thereby in the .NET settings tab you could directly pass the arguments.

ISLE is used to create simple installers with certain functionalities locked and one among the locked feature is the Component view therefore an EXE custom action is needed to launch the installer class with the parameters in ISLE.
0 Kudos