cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dominique72
Level 3

Passing arguments for silent installation

Hi

I do have an InstallScript MSI project. Besides installing optionaly (user's decision) SQL Server as prerequisite, the installation dialog does also require a few fields to be filled out by the user.

Now, I do have to change the project to allow silent installation, so here are my questions:

• How do I pass an argument on the command line to control whether a given prerequisite should be installed or not?
  • How do I pass the arguments to the installer (and handle them within the project)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Dominique72
Level 3

Well, I played a bit around trying to get it installable from the command line and I am pretty stuck everywhere now.

It is an InstallScript MSI project with an optional SQL Express installed as prerequisites.

a) Prerequisites
How can I trigger from the command line if the optional prerequisite is to be installed or not?

b) Install from command line using public properties
Initially, I thought it would be enough to define public properties for all the parameters needed to install the application.

Before adding my own public properties, I tried to test the silent installation from command line using the INSTALLDIR public property, to no success.

When invoking setup.exe /v"INSTALLDIR=C:\test", the value of INSTALLDIR is displayed as expected in the installer's gui and the installation passes through as expected.

Then, I tried to make it silent: setup.exe /s /v"INSTALLDIR=C:\test". The installer aborts nearly immediately.

What am I missing here?
What is required to do with an InstallScript MSI project to allow it to be installed silently without answerfile?

c) Silent install with answerfile
Through the forum and various searches, it looks like the way to do it is using an answerfile. I was able to generate this file using setup.exe /r and to make a silent installation with it.

Is there a syntax on this setup.iss file to add comments?
0 Kudos
Dominique72
Level 3

Well, the main problem left is the installation of the optional prerequisites on a silent install.

Is there any possibility to trigger the installation or not of an optional prerequisite when invoking setup.exe from the command line?

Any help would be more than welcome.
0 Kudos