cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

PackageForTheWeb question

We sometimes still make use of the older PackageForTheWeb 4.0 procduct that used to be built and was shipped with earlier IS versions until they discontinued the product.

We use it to ship just files that need to be placed onto the machine and do not need to have custom actions or Add/Remove functionality. This has been fine for now, but now we would like to create a pftw project that has a different image in the Welcome screen. Does any one know if that can be changed or not. probably not as it seem to be built in the Setup .exe file, but I figured I would ask.

I did not want the over head of an IS single .exe file just to copy some files to a specified folder and launch a file at the end, but I may have to do that. I just do not want the msi install logged onto the machine and no Add/Remove entry. What is the best way to handle this so that there nothing indicating the files have been placed onto the system, no msi registry entries or anthing of that nature as they are not needed?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Would an InstallScript project with the Maintenance Experience project setting set to "No uninstall or maintenance" do the trick?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I suppose that would do the trick, but would this not have to include the InstallScript engine in the install as well?

I'll have to give it a try just to see what the overhead would be.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For MSI, you can remove or "condition out" the RegisterProduct, RegisterUser, PublishProduct, and PublisherFeatures actions to get the same general effect.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Yes that is also true and would not require the IS engine, but will still have overhead. But again I'll have to give that a try and see how much.

Thanks,
0 Kudos