cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gayatriakhani
Level 3

Oracle 10g Instant client requires installation setup restart

I am working on a InstallScript MSI project that has both SQL server and Oracle support.

If user selects Oracle database, the setup will install "Oracle 10g Instant Client".
Oracle 10g Instant client MSI installs required dlls and sets TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME path. Oracle 10g Instant client Setup
is also placing tnsnames.ora file properly.

In the setup after installation of Oracle 10g Instant client, the next screen is SQLServerSelectLoginDlg.
Even if setup has installed Oracle 10g Instant client successfully, I am getting error on SQLServerSelectLoginDlg.
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

When I quit the setup and launch the setup again, everything works fine. I am not doing any oracle configuration changes.

Why do I have to quit the setup then launch it again to be able to work with Oracle, after the Instant client installation?

Please help me, As I am new to installshield and I have release.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Can you add the Oracle 10g Instant Client directory to the PATH environment variable, and see if the problem is fixed?
0 Kudos
gayatriakhani
Level 3

Hi,

Thank you very much for reply.

I have already added Oracle 10g Instant client directory into PATH system variable.

I have added 3 environment variable in Oracle 10g Instant client setup.
TNS_ADMIN (user) \network\admin
ORACLE_HOME (user)
PATH (system)

I would be really grateful to you.

Thanks
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Can you try connecting with an URL string such as //sch01jsmith.acresso.com:1521/orcl instead of a TNS name, and let me know if it works?
0 Kudos
gayatriakhani
Level 3

Hi hidenori,

Thanks, I am able to connect with URL //host: [port] [/service name].

But I need to configure tnsnames.ora file. In subsequent steps of my setup I am constructing connection string out of these details and passing it to .net library. This .net library inserts some details into database which is entered by user in next screen of installation setup.

So is there any way to use tnsnames.ora file and I don't required to restart the setup?

Thanks for your support.

- Gayatri
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Can you try installing tnsnames.ora to the System folder; , instead of \network\admin, and see if the problem is solved?
0 Kudos
gayatriakhani
Level 3

I am installing tnsnames.ora at both the places, and \network\admin.

Because In SQL Login Dialog, Installshield populates service name from path.
And for connection it also requires at \network\admin path.

But this is not working 😞
Still I need to abort setup...
Please help me......
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

What if you set the system folder to the TNS_ADMIN environment variable?
0 Kudos