cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Optional Prerequisites

InstallScript MSI

I've noticed that some redistributables are only available as "prerequisites". Is it possible to have a conditional prerequisite based on a user selection (feature)?

My real-world example is that our product needs a SQL Server to store data. The user has essentially 3 choices :

1. Use a previously installed database server on a remote computer.
2. Use a previously installed database server on the local computer.
3. Install Microsoft SQL 2005 Express.

I need to ask the user which option they'd like instead of assuming they'll need Microsoft SQL 2005 Express.

I'd like to leverage InstallShield's SQL 2005 Express prerequisite but I'm not certain if this is possible given my constraints. Is it possible and how could I accomplish this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You cannot tie prerequisites to features. One approach might be to document the requirements, then only offer the options that are truly available at the time of installation. (I.e. mark the database prerequisite as optional, then detect its presence in the installer; only enable the local database option when it's present.)

Another approach might be to make some wrapper project (perhaps an InstallScript one) which can ask the user which they want, will install the database if relevant, then run the MSI (perhaps silently) by passing in the settings acquired in the wrapper project.
0 Kudos