cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomz1982
Level 3

Opening MSI's with IS Express

Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased Installshield Express with the intention to open an existing msi packages (e.g. adobe acrobat) and editing it so that it can be installed with specific settings or so that the installation automated.

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to even open an existing msi file.

Is this something the express edition can do? or do I need a different version?

Cheers,
Tom
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

InstallShield Express does not support the functionality. You need to have an InstallShield Professional or Premier edition to open a msi package in the InstallShield IDE.
0 Kudos
tomz1982
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
InstallShield Express does not support the functionality. You need to have an InstallShield Professional or Premier edition to open a msi package in the InstallShield IDE.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any way that I am able to customize the installation, or repackage a program (again e.g. acrobat reader) using this version of installshield so that it can be distributed with minimal or no user interaction?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

No, the Express edition does have support for customizing the installation or repackaging an application. To customize an installation, you'd need the Premier or Professional editions. For repackaging, you could use the Repackager tool, which is available with the Premier edition of InstallShield (and with AdminStudio).

For a list of some other features that are in the Professional and Premier editions, but not in the Express edition, see Upgrading from Other InstallShield Editions.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
tomz1982
Level 3

Cheers for that 🙂

I'll try the other versions.
0 Kudos