cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

One component for each dll, AND JAR file?

I always see the statement there should be one component for each dll, ocx, exe as installer check the key file for repair and it is important in that sense to have a component for each dll.

I think this statement should include jar files as well. They are also important and like dll's in a sense. Anybody agrees?

I was planning to dynamically link a folder that contains many jar files and then decided not to, because I saw that when dynamically linked all the jar files are going to same component.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

InstallShield 2009 adds support for "best practice" dynamic links, and you can define your own file extensions for which you want separate components under Tools > Options > File Extensions.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Thanks, I have now added the jar extension there, but what is the idea of the best practice? Ideally I would expect it to create one component for each jar file. But it is not doing that, it is just creating one component called AllOtherFiles and putting all the files/folders underneath that. This is the same behavior when I try to dynamically link dll files. So best practice is not creating one component for each dll nor jar files.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

At least for a dynamic link with the best practices option, when you build the project and open the output MSI database, you should see the JAR files (and other extensions listed in the Tools > Options > File Extensions setting) in separate components.

Similarly, if you use the Component Wizard and select the Best Practices option, you should have a new component in your project for each JAR file.
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

Great, thanks. As you said the resulting msi or msm have one component for each jar or dll files although it shows one single component in the ism project with all files underneath. So we are good since the resulting msi or msm have separate components.
0 Kudos