cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coedindigo
Level 5

Object not getting uninstalled

I am using Install Script project in IS 2008.
In my installation i am installing two objects by default.

While installation goes fine while uninstalling folder created by one object and files within are not getting uninstalled. There is no error during uninstallation.

what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(14) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

Do the files get installed directly by the object, or does the object launch another install? If they are installed by the object, are the files marked as permanent in the object?
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

File is directly getting installed by the object itself....I have similar object which uninstalls perfectly.

Thanks
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

Sorry for the negligence.

Object just copies files to directory and launches batch file from there..thats it.

Thanks
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

So the files are getting installed as part of a component. Does the component that installs the files have the shared property set to Yes, or the Uninstall property set to No?
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I am installing objects irrespective of the componenet..I mean objects are getting installed all the time for every installation. Component has no relation with the object that i am installing. Component has different set of files.

Uninstall property of the component is set to Yes and shared to NO for all components. I just have default component in my setup.

Initially when i was using just 1 object uninstallation was working correctly, when i added another object ; this new object is not getting uninstalled at all.

Thanks for your reply.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I was referring to the properties for the components within the object's project, not the components for the install that houses the objects.
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

Yes it worked 🙂 but the installLog file seem to be in root folder of my installation. How to remove this?

Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I'm not sure I understand. What worked for you? What is creating the install log?
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I set the shared property to NO for my components and now it is uninstalling correctly.

After uninstalling InstallLog file is created in my installation target folder. Its contents are as follows:

Uninstalling assembly 'C:\x\y\z.zzzzz.exe'.
Affected parameters are:
assemblypath = C:\x\y\z.zzzzz.exe
=
logfile = C:\x\y\z.zzzzz.InstallLog
Removing EventLog source x Console Service.
Warning: The source x Console Service is not registered on the local machine.
Service x Console Service is being removed from the system...
An exception occurred during the uninstallation of the System.ServiceProcess.ServiceInstaller installer.
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified service does not exist as an installed service
An exception occurred while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will continue. However, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete.

What is causing exception mention in this file? ANd how can i remove this file during uninstallation?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

What objects and\or third party installers are you including with your install?
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I am installing driver files in an object. so i have two objects for 2 types device drivers.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Something in your install is creating this log, but its not possible to tell what without looking at the projects. My guess would be that you are shelling out to someone elses install or using the Merge Module Wrapper object in your install.
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I am not using any merge module...uninstallation was working fine until i added another object to the project. This object is very simple. Strange thing is whatever file name that is there in log is in my main project and not related to the object at all.

What else you could thing go wrong? I tried redesigning object but didnt help...
in the worst case i would like to remove that file manually from the folder..how would i do that? because of this single file my root installtion folder is not getting uninstalled.

Thanks
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I have created setup such a that if it is already installed on the system then it will first uninstall it and then install it in single step otherwise it proceeds with normal installation.

There seems to be problem when i run uninstall by running setup again but when i run uninstall from add/remove program it uninstalls perfectly.

So it seems that it is generating log file only when i run my setup again on already installed system..but it vanishes as soon as application is reinstalled again.
My concern is if user cancels setup after uninstalltion is complete and before starting new installtion(i.e. automtically in one step), thi sis one step process in my setup) then this log file is visible to the user.

What can i do about it?

Thanks
0 Kudos