cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveLovell
Level 5

ODBC Resource Key File

I have an installation that has been configured to include/create two ODBC connection. This creates them correctly.
The problem I have is that if an end user modifies or deletes the ODBC connection then the MSI auto repair starts to fix them. I need to disable this, but I cannot find how to do this.
Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
SteveLovell
Level 5

If it helps, I am using a Basic MSI project.
Inside the component that is created there are no files or registry settings, I cannot see what I can do to stop the ODBC connection being auto-repaired other than maybe a VBscript (or similar) being used to create the connection.
0 Kudos
Inabus
Level 6

The ODBC entries are entry points into the MSI as they are created via the ODBC table.

If you remove the ODBC table entries and add the registry keys for the ODBC settings directly into a components registry instead then the problem will be removed.

Remember if you set a keypath to one of the registry keys which will get deleted when a user removes the odbc entry then it will still self repair.
0 Kudos
SteveLovell
Level 5

Inabus wrote:
The ODBC entries are entry points into the MSI as they are created via the ODBC table.

If you remove the ODBC table entries and add the registry keys for the ODBC settings directly into a components registry instead then the problem will be removed.

Remember if you set a keypath to one of the registry keys which will get deleted when a user removes the odbc entry then it will still self repair.

Thank you Inabus, I have just seen this thread which has given me the same idea.
0 Kudos