cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Georgi
Level 2

Number of activations for InstallShield 2016 Professional Perpetual License

We'll be buying a new computer for InstallShield 2016 and I will have to move the installation to the new computer. However there seem to be restrictions on the number of activations. There is a link that is supposed to provide more information but it requires me to have a support contract which I find preposterous - computers break, get upgraded etc. - moving a software should not require additional payments.

We've payed a significant amount of money for our license and the number of activations is the most basic information about it.

Here is the link that supposedly specifies this:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q200878

Can someone tell me how many times I can return a license and reactivate the software for InstallShield 2016 Professional Perpetual License?

Best regards,
Georgi Chankov
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Evan_B
Level 2

Georgi wrote:
We'll be buying a new computer for InstallShield 2016 and I will have to move the installation to the new computer.
Can someone tell me how many times I can return a license and reactivate the software for InstallShield 2016 Professional Perpetual License?

InstallShield and AdminStudio node-locked licenses are single-machine, single-user licenses according to the End-User License Agreement (EULA). This means that they can be activated on one machine and accessed by one user.

If moving a license to a new machine is required, the license must be returned or deactivated from the machine on which it is currently activated, before attempting to activate the license on a new machine.

Please note that there is a return limit for each type of licence:

Node Locked Licence
If your licence is a node locked licence, then you are allowed to return/deactivate/transfer your licence up to a maximum of four times per year.

Concurrent Licence
If your licence is a concurrent licence and you would like to return/transfer it from the current licence server to a new/another licence server, then please note that there is a return/transfer limit of 2 returns/transfers per year.

Online Deactivation:
1) If you have already uninstalled InstallShield 2016 from the old machine, reinstall it on the old machine.

2) On the old machine, open an elevated administrator Command Prompt and perform the following:
C:
CD\
CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2016\System\"

3) Run the following command to perform online deactivation of InstallShield 2016:
TSconfig.exe /return

Note: You should allow incoming and outgoing traffic to and from *.flexerasoftware.com and *.installshield.com and you need to make sure that ports 80, 443 & 8443 are open.
The InstallShield activation server URL is activationservice.installshield.com

4) Install and activate InstallShield 2016 on the new machine.
0 Kudos
Evan_B
Level 2

You can return the license and reactivate it on another machine four times per year. Concurrent licenses can be returned and reactivated on another machine two times per year.
0 Kudos