cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hjsunj
Level 6

No buttons showes in Add/Remove panel if I'm a normal user!

In XP SP2.
When I run the installation using a normal user account, an dialog prompt "ask for administration right", and then I input the administrator account and password to continue the installation and install the product successfully.

Still in the normal user account, I found there's a Remove button in Add/Remove panel.

What I want is:
1. When I login as Administrator, there is a Remove button in Add/Remove panel.
2. When I login as Normal-User, there isn't any button in Add/Remove panel.

How to implement it?
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
hjsunj
Level 6

I'm using IS2008, 🙂
0 Kudos
Scaazy
Level 3

I guess it should be implemented automatically, u do something wrong.
Are u sure that Normal-User doesnt present in Administrator group?

if u want to remove "Repair" button from a testuser u have to use
ARPNOREPAIR = 1
0 Kudos
hjsunj
Level 6

Thanks, Scaazy:
I‘m sure that the Normal-User does'nt present in Administrator group but in User group, and I found the "GoogleToolbar for Internet Explorer" also have a Remove button.
So I think it's not implemented automatically that no Remove button for Normal-User account.

By the way,
you said that "if u want to remove "Repair" button from a testuser u have to use
ARPNOREPAIR = 1",
How to use ARPNOREPAIR = 1, in which function? OnBegin() or OnFirstUIBegin() or the others?

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Scaazy
Level 3

I'm really confused about that because i'm not an administrator.

the question about buttons...that's picture should be clear for u..

0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

hjsunj,

I am not sure how the Google Toolbar allows this, but what you are describing is normal. A normal user account is prohibited from uninstalling most applications. An administrator can set a registry entry to allow users to uninstall applications.
0 Kudos
hjsunj
Level 6

Scaazy and DLee65:
I still have not found ways to resolve the problem. 😞

But still thanks for all your opinions and helps!:) I'll keep going!
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

My guess is that you need to create a per-user install, and all files must be installed in a per-user location. Then each user can install and uninstall applications as needed. This is the only way that I can see the ARP Change/Remove button being visible to a standard user.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I do not know if this is the same issue or not, but I have an install that will show the Remove button correctly on a first time install, but if the install is ran over our previous version it will perform a minor update and everything looks correct, but the Remove button on the Add/Remove dialog box will not be there.

What would be causing my minor upgrade mode to have that button disappear?

Since this particular install is an InstallScript msi project is there anything that I can set in my script to have that button replaced or better yet not disappear in the first place?

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos