cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derek_McKinnon
Level 3

Newbie having troubles with basic installation

I haven't written any installation in 6 years and am attempting to create what I believe is a simple installation.

The context is that we are working on releasing versions once per week to just a few clients.

All I need to release to them is 2 executables. All I want done is that these two executables replace the existing 2 executables on their machines. The only complication is that the location of the exe will vary between clients, so I need the client to choose the location. The other requirement is that the user can simply click on a menu item in the application to download the latest version.

I have bought the software from another developer, who used Wise installation. However since I have previously used installshield, I decided to buy that instead.

I have now spent 2 days trying to get this working and have read many forums, websites and white papers - each of which seems different from the others and all of which seem far more complex than my simple needs and often doesn't seem to be in installshield (eg. REINSTALLMODE. It's in the help files, but I can't work out where to actually alter the value in Installshield)

I orginally had an installation that did that. However when I then come to install the next version, I get the following message:
"
This product is already installed on the system.
If you wish to install it again, ou need to uninstall the existing copy first.
Do you want to uninstall the existing copy?
"

I have been unable to find this error message in Google. The closest I have found is "Another version of this product is already installed".

What is the easiest way of achieving what I need.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
mberterm
Level 7

There are 2 issues which come immediately to mind:

[LIST=1]
  • You appear to be deploying a minor upgrade. Which means, in this case, that you have rebuilt the same MSI based project and are attempting to install the latest build on the machine which has the previous build.
  • Express does not support authoring minor upgrades (although being an MSI package it can be made to work). A major upgrade (or to a lesser extent, Quick Patch) might instead be the better route--compare the available paths in the Express help library, Ch 19, pg 347, versus in the Premier/Professional help library.

A simple view of minor upgrades is a matter of changing the Package Code but not changing the Product Code or Upgrade Code.

Articles which discuss Express and upgrades:

From the Premier/Professional editions: Creating Minor Upgrades

From the MSI help library (MSDN):
  • 0 Kudos