cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James123
Level 2

New to Install Shield

Hello I'm new to install shield I'm still trying to figure out how to do the following:

1. Specifying custom pre-reqs where if they don't exist I can specify another installer to install them siliently (Similar to the redistributables in Application Data but I want to specify my own custom software)

2. Copying a file from the target machine into the install directory (if it exists)

3. Running custom executables in the final steps of the installer

4. Determining if a database exists and running SQL scripts. Possibly acting upon the results of those sql scripts

Any help or links to the information on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

To start, have you picked a project type? There's a "Which project type is right for me?" help link on the InstallShield start page.

For (1), you can create custom prerequisites for MSI projects (starting under the Tools menu) or Objects for InstallScript projects (it's an additional project type) to install your custom software.

For (3), perhaps see for example this newsletter tip (PDF): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/launch.pdf.

For the others, you can also search the documentation, knowledge base, and these forums for information about how others have addressed those requirements.
0 Kudos
James123
Level 2

I have figured out how to do most of what I asked about above:

1. I ended up using the Prerequisite Editor under tools.

2. I've read in the forums that you could do this with a script. It would also be possible I suppose to create a custom executable to achieve the same results.

Is there a built in feature (not writing any code) to do this?

3. The link given by Robert shows how to launch your application after you have finished installing it. Under Behavior and Logic → Custom Actions and Sequences → Custom Actions you can use the custom action wizard to launch other/multiple executables or msi packages.

4. Under System Configuration ODBC Resources I included the dlls for the databases I was interested in. Under Server Configuration → SQL Scripts there is an option to create a new connection and under that connection you can add the SQL scripts you want to run.

Does anyone know if there is a way to hide the connection screen (always use the defaults I specified and don't let the user change it)? I haven't been able to find any documentation or information in the forums on how to do this yet.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For normal file transfer, you can use the Application Data > Files and Folders view, or the Files window in a component's settings...
0 Kudos