cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dominouk
Level 3

New Merge Module not installing on upgrade

Hi, I'm new to this forum, though I have been using Installshield 2009 for a while now.

I'm using an install script which allows upgrades to my software, this usually works fine for upgrading the normal .exe and .dll files in my app but I have recently added a new merge module (for SOAP 3) to the app.

If I remove the old version and install the new one the merge module is installed correctly, however if I directly upgrade the old version then the merge module is not installed, and of course my app doesn't work properly.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make the merge module always install if it is not present?

Thanks.
David.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
dominouk
Level 3

Bump. Anyone?
0 Kudos
dominouk
Level 3

In case anyone else is interested, I have found out the solution myself, 🙂 and resolved the problem.

The problem was caused because Installshield merge module upgrade seems to work on a Feature basis, whereas obviously it does not do this for individual files. :mad: This is plainly inconsistent and I consider it a fundamental design flaw with the handling of merge modules.

So anyway since the merge module feature was installed already in the previous version, it did not try to install it again, even though I had added new merge modules to it (SOAP) so my new merge modules were not installed.

The solution is to always create a new feature (and mark it as critical) when adding new merge modules, and putting the new merge modules into the new feature rather than the old one, since the new feature has never been installed before gets included in the upgrade.

Obviously this is not very nice, as you will end up with a new feature every time you want to add a new merge module.

So the basic rule is NEVER add a merge module to an existing feature that your customers may have installed, you always have to create a new feature and add it to that.

I hope this helps, if ever anyone else is in the same situation I was. 😉
David.
0 Kudos