cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

New Installer not replacing old application files.

Hi,

When I try to install a new build of my installshield installer over an old build, all pre-existing files in my program files folder do not get replaced. This has only been happening on 64 bit versions of Windows 7. 32 Bit Windows is unaffected. What difference is there between 32/64 bit that makes this happen?

Also, an msi log does not get created like on a successful installation, is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Dbarone
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Not applicable

I resolved the msi log issue. log is attached.
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

can you tell was this an upgrade ?? or repair ?? or fresh installation?

looking at the log i saw the following things

1. Error loading ISBEW64.exe...File does not exist
2. Error extracting ISBEW64.exe from ISRegSvr.dll
3. most of the component condition is like Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null, it means that no action will be taken for the installed component since there is no change. so you have to know why this is happening this could give you a clue on the issue
0 Kudos
Not applicable

This was an upgrade. I was trying to install over a previous version. I have all my components set to always overwrite.

I have been conditionally adding features to my installer at build time using config flags. Would this effect anything?
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

if its an upgrade then please check your feature state in the log its having the values "Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local" for upgrade this values should be "Reinstall" rather than "Local".
0 Kudos
Not applicable

How can I always force a reinstall for these features?

I do not want to have to constantly change my product code to force a major upgrade if I change a feature.

All I want to do is always force my new installers features/components over the old installation. Is there an easy way to always uninstall/reinstall if possible?

Thanks again for your help,
Dom
Not applicable

I also just built my project with windows 7 validation on and noticed an ISICE19 error with my ispreventdowngrade settings. Could this be related?
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

"ISICE19 validates properties related to upgrades and that the Upgrade table is present. ISICE19 also helps you determine whether the installation prevents an earlier package from installing over a new package."

check the InstallShield Help Library to get information on cause and resolution
0 Kudos