cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex_W
Level 6

Installation of SQL Express appears to have failed Error???

I'm using InstallScript MSI project built in IS 2008 Pro:

I’m installing SQL Express via a redistributable with the command line parameters of:

/qb INSTANCENAME=ALEX SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=alex DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 ADDLOCAL=ALL

At the end of the installation of Express I get the error:

“The installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation?” with the usual Yes/No buttons.

But SQL Express did succeed installing. If I click “yes” my application installer runs and everything I need to do which uses SQL Express such as attaching database and creating users all succeed. Express does actually seems to install correctly and is up and running with my instance name and is accessible by my application. But I get the error message.

If I change this Express command line parameters and remove “INSTANCENAME=...” and go with the default SQLExpress instance name then no error message is displayed and once again all works perfectly.

Why would I get this error message? Is there a way to just not display the errors to the UI? Any suggestion is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

It sounds like that you need to modify the prerequisite condition(s) to work with your custom instance. The built-in prerequisite is designed to work with the default instance. Please open the Prerequisite Editor that can be launched from the Tools | Prerequisite Editor menu, and modify the condition(s) in the Conditions tab as needed.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Alex_W
Level 6

Thanks, that was it. The default registry key I was referring to check if Express needs to upgrade/install did not reflect the changes I had made. Once I corrected this oversight and did a bit more clean up the error disappeared. (happy happy joy joy!)
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Thanks for this post guys. I had the same problem with my MSSQL Express saying there was an error when it worked fine. I had changed the instance name as well. Thanks again.
0 Kudos