cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trinityr
Level 3

Need help understanding upgrades

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to create a simple major and minor upgrade package that just removes the previous version and installs the latest version.

Apparently, it's not as easy as just changing the version number. Nobody really explains thru a blog post a step by step.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for good documentation/step by step tutorials?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

If you want to create an upgrade that uninstalls the old version and installs the new version, you need to create a major upgrade. A minor upgrade can't do that.

The following technical white papers have instructions and background info on upgrades:

• Download Designing an Update-Friendly MSI Installation
  • Building MSI Installer Updates and Patches

For a list of these and other white papers that are available for download, visit the Resources page (http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield/resources.htm) on the web site, and then click the White Papers link.
0 Kudos
trinityr
Level 3

I've downloaded the white paper.

What I was really looking for was a Tutorial or Step by Step guide for creating an Major or Minor Update package. Technical papers are great, but learning by example is even better for those that are just starting to work with InstallShield.
0 Kudos
nmsams
Level 7

Changing the product code and have the same upgrade code are basically the 2 main components to doing a major upgrade.
0 Kudos
LrdElder
Level 4

You need to change the package code as well ...

Small Update: Package Code
Minor Upgrade: Package Code, Product Version
Major Upgrade: Package Code, Product Version, Product Code

For a Basic MSI project, make sure you fill in the information in Media->Upgrades
0 Kudos