cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lonewolf32
Level 5

Need better way to communicate or automate installer details

Currently we use a spreadsheet to communicate what files need to go in the installer, where to put them, what registry entries are needed, shortcuts, etc etc.
Once the spreadsheet is complete, it is given to the build person and there is a manual process of creating the installer by reading the spreadsheet and creating the IS project by hand.
For subsequent builds, changes are highlighted on the spreadsheet and again a manual process to update the IS project.

Essentially, the requirements for the build are listed in two places (and need to be maintained in two places) and there is room for human error when translating one to the other.

Ultimately I'd like to have enough automation in the process to avoid stupid human mistakes. To have only one place where build details are stored, and have those details be accessible to people who do not have an InstallShield license.

I noticed WiX does something like this where the install details are actually part of a Visual Studio project and are directly read in to create a build. Thats pretty sweet but learning WiX is a whole new battle.

Does anyone have any suggestions in this regard?

Thanks,
Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

I can think of InstallShield's build reports to your 2nd part of the question.. where people without InstallShield license can still see what went into the installer.
This has helped us in case of Dynamic File linking where you can answer people's question to what went into installer (viz. InstallScript project- as there's no MSI so can't use Orca) from a given dynamically linked folder.

look for the below folders (if you haven't already) in the InstaallShield project Release folder.
"Report Files" in InstallScript projects
"Reports" in MSI based projects

Btn: I would be interested in the WiX part which you are taking about... could you share some link?
we have been using WiX for an year and the report part which you mentions seems interesting.
0 Kudos
lonewolf32
Level 5

Thanks for the info on Reports, I will take a look.

rrinblue22 wrote:
Btn: I would be interested in the WiX part which you are taking about... could you share some link?
we have been using WiX for an year and the report part which you mentions seems interesting.

I did not mean it that way. I only meant that WiX can create an installer from a Visual Studio project, not that it can create reports. In fact I know almost nothing on WiX, just been reading a bit.
0 Kudos