cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PistolPete
Level 3

Need a little push to get started

Hello everyone,

I need a little help getting started. I was asked to basically make a silent install wrapper for an .exe with a command line parameter to be interpreted. Can someone graciously tell me how this is done – I’ve fooled around with it all morning and tried using the help but I’m not getting anywhere!

I started with a basic MSI project.

I need to run a .EXE to silently install a program. {Used ‘Custom Actions & Sequences’ to run this as the first step in ‘Installation’}

Then copy four files into the folder created by that .exe. {Use ‘Files & Folders’ right?}

Then copy a fifth .bat file into the same folder – but it will be one of 40 possible .bat files based upon the command line parameter. {I have no idea how to do this step}

Then run the .bat file. {I suspect a ‘custom action & sequence}

Then reboot. {Not sure how to call a restart after completion of the bat file}

I greatly appreciate your assistance. I'm hopelessly lost here!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Br3nda
Level 3

PistolPete wrote:

I started with a basic MSI project.

I need to run a .EXE to silently install a program. {Used ‘Custom Actions & Sequences’ to run this as the first step in ‘Installation’}

Hello,

You can take a look in "Redistributables", there you can add the program you want to install silently as a first step...

You have to create a prerequisite (Tools->prerequisite editor) and after you add your .EXE and then in the "Application to run -> specify the command line for the app" you add the command line: /quiet. Like that the install will be transparent to the user.
Take a look in here:

http://shieldmaster.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/tutorial-adding-setup-prerequisites-to-installshield-package/

PistolPete wrote:

Then copy four files into the folder created by that .exe. {Use ‘Files & Folders’ right?}

Yes, that's right...

After if you want to add more command lines you can do in "Media -> releases->Setup.exe -> MSI Command Line Arguments".

Hope it helps

Br3nda
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Is an MSI one of your requirements? It seems to me that what you are trying to do might be easier with an InstallScript project, especially since it doesn't appear that you need to use all the built-in Windows Installer features that manage upgrades, repairs and uninstalls.
0 Kudos
PistolPete
Level 3

KathyMorey wrote:
Is an MSI one of your requirements? It seems to me that what you are trying to do might be easier with an InstallScript project, especially since it doesn't appear that you need to use all the built-in Windows Installer features that manage upgrades, repairs and uninstalls.

You are correct - I think making an exe with everything packed into it would be best becuase I don't want my installer added to Add or Remove Programs like an MSI might be. I spent all day on this yesterday and I think today I will stop reading the 2700 page manual for making an MSI and see what I can find for making an InstallScript. I want to make one .exe that I pass a parameter to (e.g. Country=AR for Argentina) so it knows to run the .bat that is specific for Argentina after it installs the core product...

Thanks for pointing me in a direction! I honestly didn't know where to begin.. 🙂
0 Kudos
PistolPete
Level 3

Br3nda wrote:
Hello,

You have to create a prerequisite (Tools->prerequisite editor) and after you add your .EXE and then in the "Application to run -> specify the command Hope it helps

Br3nda

Interesting idea! Put the real program in as a pre-req and then install the add-on with the normal routine! I thought the pre-req simply checked and failed if not present - I didn't consider that it would check, fail, remediate! 🙂
0 Kudos