cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Need a Install Condition to detect 64-bit OS

I have an InstallScript MSI project that I need to create an Installation condition that prevents installation on 64-bit OS. Is there a Property that I can use for detecting 64bit OS that I can use as an install condition?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps see if Msix64 is appropriate?
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

Doesn't that property just detect 64-bit hardware? Would the property VersionNT64? The installer sets the VersionNT64 property to the version number for the operating system only if the system is running on a 64-bit computer. The property is undefined if the operating system is not 64-bit. Could I use the condition VersionNT64 <0 ?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Yes, you're right: VersionNT64 would be the condition to detect if it's a 64-bit OS, and Not VersionNT64 would be the condition to detect it's not...
0 Kudos
bbarton11
Level 5

Thanks for the tip, Robert. It just helped me as well!
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

I found another Forum post where they said Not VersionNT64 did not work.

community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?179029-How-do-I-prevent-install-on-64-bit-OS

Here is my install condition in InstallShield 2011:

(Not Version9X) And (Not VersionNT=400) And (Not VersionNT=500) And (Not VersionNT=502) And ((VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel >= 3) Or ((VersionNT=601 And Not VersionNT64) And MsiNTProductType=1))

It's designed to allow the install on Windows XP SP3 or higher and Windows 7 32-bit. But like I said, Not VersionNT64 isn't working.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you generate an MSI log file on a system where the condition fails, does VersionNT64 have a sensible value?
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Mr. Dickau,

I will have to try to get a hold of that person's PC and look for the MSI log file. BTW, what would be considered sensible values?

Thank you for your time.

Matt

Update:

I tried the install on a Windows 7 32-bit PC and did not see VersionNT64 even though I am checking it as an install condition. The only VersionNT in this particular MSI log says VersionNT = 601.

Update #2:

I got the Windows 7 64-bit machine. I searched for VersionNT. Found both VersionNT and VersionNT64 which were both set to 601. 601 is Windows 7 so I am unsure how to prevent installing my 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS. My install condition (mentioned previously) says Not VersionNT64 but it still installed on the 64-bit Windows 7 OS. Does IS have a bug?

Update #3:

It's now been a week later and no reply?! SMH
0 Kudos