cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZygoCorp
Level 6

Need IsCMdBld to create "single .exe file name"

I have an INSTALLSCRIPT project. Works fine. I have 2 releases - each of which creates a single exe. I set this up by filling the in the "single .exe file name" for each using the Installation Designer UI. Both build without error and produce what I need - one file uniquely named for each release.

I am now creating a build script/batch file......get latest, build solution, build installer....typical.....

The problem I am running into is that I have not been able to make IsCmdBld output the single exe files .... each now creates an output directory under Disk Images\Disk1 (multiple files, incl setup.exe)...... the -b option seems to simply change the location of the group of output files.....the -c (release configuration) and -e (create setup.exe) are not applicable to installscript projects.

help please....thanks.

oh - here is what my current batch file commands are:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p "c:\InstallSHield 2012 Projects\MPX Files\MPX Files.ism" -r "ONE Release" -w -x
"C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p "c:\InstallSHield 2012 Projects\MPX Files\MPX Files.ism" -r "TWO Release" -w -x
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
ZygoCorp
Level 6

OK - finally found this in the documentation (boy do I wish things were easier to find!!)

Anyway, I cannot make this duplicate the build option in the Installation Designer......How can I make this respect the settings I configured in the Release Wizard and have set in the Installation Designer????

For example: I use the release wizard to decide which features to compile into the release and which not to.....ReleasePackager.exe build everything into all of my releases......:confused:
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The "Single .exe File Name" setting needs to be set in the release you are building either from the IDE or the command line builder. In either case when this setting is specified, the release will always build an uncompressed release in the \Disk Images\Disk1 folder. The compressed setup is always built to \Package.
0 Kudos
ZygoCorp
Level 6

but apparantly many of the settings done through the IDE and wizard are not applied when iscmdbld and releasepckager.

for example - both of my releases have single exe names set but when building from command line, a regular package is built under Disk1.
both of my releases have different feature sets specified via the wizard to be included in the build - these are also ignored on the command line.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

We tested building an InstallScript project through iscmdbld.exe with a release in the project that was set to create a compressed setup.exe through the Single .exe File Name setting. The following command line was used to start the build:

iscmdbld.exe -p "C:\PathToProject\InstallScriptProject.ism" -r "Release 1"

In the above command line, Release 1 was the name of the release in the project that had been configured to build a compressed setup. After checking the build output, the command line build had correctly built the project including the uncompressed (Disk1) and compressed (Package) setups.

***Please note that regardless of building through the IDE or the command line build when the "Single .exe File Name" setting is set, the InstallScript build process builds both an uncompressed (Disk1 folder) and a compressed setup (Package folder) in the release folder. This is expected behavior. See the attached screenshot for an example release folder structure for a release set to build a compressed setup.

What is the command line you are using to build this project? Is the project open while you are attempting to build from the command line? If so, were any changes to the project saved in the IDE prior to starting the command line build?
0 Kudos
ZygoCorp
Level 6

Thank you.
The commands I was using are in the original post.

But I just figured out the problem.
My batch files had -r "Foo Release"
but I needed -r "Foo release"

!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos