cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teresac
Level 2

.NET Framework 3.5 development tools dependency for MSBuild 17.0 (VS 2022)

Hello,

I have an InstallShield 2024 R1 project (.isproj) residing in a Visual Studio 2022 solution. The version of Visual Studio is 17.10.5. The TargetFrameworkVersion is 4.8 and I have 4.0 Build Tools and MSBuild 17 on my machine.

These are the MSBuild commands I tried but received the same error message - which I uploaded as an attachment:

MSBuild InstallShieldInstaller.sln /property:Configuration=Release

MSBuild InstallShieldInstaller.sln /property:Configuration=Release /tv:4.0

To successfully use MSBuild in the command prompt, I had to download the .NET Framework 3.5 development tools 'individual component' from the Visual Studio 2022 Installer. 

Question is, Is the .NET Framework 3.5 development tools a requirement to use MSBuild or is there another solution to resolve the error message in the image?

"C:\.....\InstallShieldInstaller.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\.....\InstallShieldInstaller.isproj" (default target) (2) ->
(Build target) -> C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2024\InstallShield.targets(99,3): error MSB4062: The "InstallShield.Tasks.InstallShield" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2024\InstallShield.Tasks.dll. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build.Utilities, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask. [C:\.....\InstallShieldInstaller\InstallShieldInstaller.isproj]

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(0) Replies