cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camille042
Level 2

MySQL Install

Hello, I'm using trial version of Installshield 2008. I'd like to install MySQL along with my product. Is "Installing the MySQL ODBC Driver from an InstallScript Installation" the first step to doing that? I've followed it but MySQL Installer doesn't come up. Is it some sort of silent install?

Also what is "OnSQLServerInitialize" for? When do I use it?

I hope someone can explain or link to a sample. Thanks. 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Are you trying to install a MySQL database server, or run a SQL script to create a database on an existing MySQL database server? The help topic discusses how to install the MySQL ODBC driver from an InstallScript project type prior to running the installation. Using the sample code, the MySQL ODBC driver will be silently installed as the /qn switch is speicified for msiexec.exe.

Also, the OnSQLServerInitialize() will be called when you add a connection in the SQL Scripts view. The event will display the built-in SQLLogin dialog which will verify login credentials when you click the Next button.
0 Kudos
camille042
Level 2

Thank you for replying!

I'm trying to run MySQLSetup.exe (I need ODBC to run this?) with silent install. Is this implemented with LaunchAppAndWait and do I have to add it to Files and Folders first? With silent install issue, I understand that I can use InstallShield Silent Response File. By the way I am using InstallScript project.

A link to an example would be much appreciated as I haven't had the luck to find one. Thanks.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you want to launch MySQLSetup.exe from the source media, you can use a path in LaunchAppAndWait() like: SRCDIR ^ MySQLSetup.exe. If you want to copy the file temporary on the target machine, you need to add the file as a support file in the Support Files/Billboards view, and use a path like: SUPPORTDIR ^ MySQLSetup.exe.

Regarding the "InstallShield Silent Response File", it depends what installation technology is used for MySQLSetup.exe. If they use the InstallShield InstallScript technology, you can use an InstallShield silent response file for the setup. You may need to consult with the MySQL AB company to find out more information about MySQLSetup.exe. I do not even know if the ODBC driver is required to install prior to install MySQLSetup.exe.

Regards.
0 Kudos