cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shane_W
Level 3

Multiple virtual dir instances on IIS7

Hi, i have a problem regarding installing multiple instances of a virtual directory into the same website on IIS7.

The install is pretty standard - the virtual dir gets installed under the Default Website, and i provide a custom dialog for the user to change the name of the virtual dir, and there is also the standard dialog where they can specify the filesystem location for the actual files.

On the multiple instances tab, i have set up two extra instances, and as per the small amount of doco i have seen around i have a new ProductCode entry for each instance, and i have also got a modified ProductName entry for each, so that the user can tell the instances apart when looking in the add/remove programs applet.

My issue is that on IIS7, the first instance installs fine, just like it should. The second and third instances do not. The files get installed to where the user specifies, but if the user changes the virtual dir name then the new virtual dir actually gets created under the virtual dir created by the first instance, instead of being created at the same level.

Is there something that we need to do differently for IIS7? Is there something obvious i should look at? Is there a template multi-instance virtual directory install floating around that i could check to make sure mine is being done the right way?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Shane_W
Level 3

Wow, a huge amount of people read this thread... not.

It turns out my problem was not as i thought, i was actually experiencing the issue described here:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/archive/index.php?t-187961.html

and using the property IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS worked around the problem (i ended up with applications under the default web site, instead of virtual directories, but i can live with that).
0 Kudos