cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LennyThompson
Level 3

Multiple VC9 merge modules

I am currently evaluating InstallShield and have a problem with the merge module (redistributable) list. As I had previously installed the VS merge modules, I get a large list of repeated entries for the various msm packages (MFC, CRT, VC8, VC9, etc...) and the entries are (almost) all identical. The worst part of this is that it is impossible to tell one from the other, and the msm files that came with InstallShield dont work, and I have had to go through almost every combination to get a functioning installer. The question is can I tell InstallShield to only look in the Program Files/Common Files/Merge Modules for merge modules?.

Cheers
Lenny
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

To update the path: On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Merge Modules tab. That's where you can specify where your merge modules are located.
0 Kudos
LennyThompson
Level 3

Thanks for that. That helps but it seems that InstallShield still adds multiple entries with the same names, so its not possible to tell the difference between the main msm, the policy msm, and amd64 versions. It is easier to go through the possibilities though.

Cheers
Lenny
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look at the details pane that is displayed on the right side of the Redists view when you select a redist. (By default, the details pane is hidden. You may need to click the Show Details link in the upper-right corner of this view to see it.)

Sometimes, the details pane shows info like file names and other details, and that may help you distinguish between different merge modules.
0 Kudos
LennyThompson
Level 3

Thanks Debbie, that has cleared it up. Could be handy to add that to the context menu, which seems a more obvious place to look.

Cheers
Lenny
0 Kudos