cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottd72
Level 7

MsiInstallProduct, system reboots after install despite REBOOT="ReallySuppress"

I have a frontend that launches our installs using the function MsiInstallProduct(), and I pass into the command line REBOOT="ReallySuppress". Yet, some customers are having their systems reboot at the end of the install process without warning. Looking at one of their logs there are a couple of shared dlls under C:\Program Files\Common that are locked. I looked at a log for another customer and did not find anything that indicated a problem requiring reboot.

What I would like to do is to find a way to completely suppress reboots, but I don't think anything short of a hack exists for this. Am I wrong?

Or, I would like to display a message box at the end of the install if the system needs to restart. Am I able to do this when I use MsiInstallProduct()?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
scottd72
Level 7

The parameter REBOOT="ReallySuppress" is doing its job. Although I had some files that were locked during installation, the fact that I used that parameter prevented the system from rebooting. However, my frontend launches several setup prerequisites, namely the vc++ 2010 and vc++ 2012 redists, and I realized that I was launching them without passing the /norestart switch. It turns out a few customers had one or more dlls associated with these redists locked during installation, and that is what caused the system restart. Problem solved.
0 Kudos