cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timstspry
Level 7

More Major Upgrade Issues

Hi all, I have an InstallScriptMSI project in which I am going to apply a Major Upgrade to an existing product. I have authored the Major Upgrade to completely uninstall the previous version before installing the Major Upgrade, but this is not happening.

Not sure why the previous version is not being uninstalled. I know this is not much to go on, but any advice would be appreciated!

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

do the upgrade codes match between the orignal and newer version? Also check that the product codes are different and the version numbers have changed. During a major upgrade, if the product code has not changed you will see some unexpected behavior.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

If you haven't yet, create a log file during the upgrade and check that to see if it gives you any pertinent information.
0 Kudos
scm1clh
Level 3

Assuming UpgradeCode is the same and the ProductCode, ProductVersion and PackageCode are different.

Check the ALLUSERS property is the same, i had this problem with a major upgrade in 2010 SP1.

Run the setup from the command line:

setup /V"/L*v C:\everything.log"

and search for 'related' in the log file
0 Kudos
timstspry
Level 7

Thanks to all who responded! These are all great suggestions and I am looking at each one of them. I do appreciate the information and the help.

Tim
0 Kudos
timstspry
Level 7

I have researched all of these good suggestions. The funny thing is that the existing version of the application only uninstalls clean if you actually use the Add/Remove Programs applet to uninstall it. I created a prerequisite to my InstallScriptMSI project to do a complete uninstall of the existing application by using the /x {PRODUCTCODE} switches and even this does not remove the entry for the previous version from the Add/Remove Programs applet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tim
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

• Is the existing version also based on an InstallScript MSI project?
  • Also, I have noticed that if you uninstall a program using a different method from the remove button of the Add/Remove Programs dialog (like launching msiexec /x from the command line) while this dialog is open, the uninstallation works fine, but the corresponding line on the Add/Remove Programs dialog does not disappear unless you refresh it (e.g. by closing and reopening the dialog).
  • Another point, but I am not sure whether it is applicable to an InstallScript MSI project: I remember having had to change the order of some actions in the Execute Sequence to get the Major Upgrade to work with a Basic MSI project, as suggested by Chris Painter.
0 Kudos