cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blueskies
Level 2

Modifying Existing Installer Versus Creating a New One

Our company is new to Installshield. We are currently debating the merits of creating a new installer for each version of our product or simply creating a new one.

At first we thought that it would be easier to simply modify the existing one, but I am starting to see that there are potential errors that may come up this way when attempting to install both products on the same machine.

Also, I noticed that there are numerous strings and data referencing the old installer that would need to be modified.

What is the standard out there, creating a new installer every time or modifying the existing one? I'm leaning towards creating a new one every time, but wondering what the opinion of the more seasoned install professionals is. Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
lordmaxx
Level 6

We use the same install project, but we also use source control for our installation projects. Using the same project allows you to only update those aspects of the installer that needs to be updated. Leave teh update GUID the same, but change the Project GUID, allows for smoother upgrades using the Upgrades section of the installation project. And allows for continuity from release to release.
0 Kudos
blueskies
Level 2

Thanks.

On the *modified* install package, but not the original, I am getting this error:

An error (-5009) has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: (out company name) (our company website)

lordmaxx wrote:
We use the same install project, but we also use source control for our installation projects. Using the same project allows you to only update those aspects of the installer that needs to be updated. Leave teh update GUID the same, but change the Project GUID, allows for smoother upgrades using the Upgrades section of the installation project. And allows for continuity from release to release.
0 Kudos