cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blitz89
Level 3

Modify when Compressed cant find msi

For size reasons we need to compress our next release. The installation works fine, uninstall works fine. However, when I go through modify, if I want to add a feature that I didnt install or previously removed, it crashes. It says it cannot find the msi file!
I can navigate to the msi file, its there, even though it says it doesnt exist there.
Modify will successfully remove a feature.

If I rebuild as uncompressed, there is NO problem, it adds and removes through modify wrong. What is going on that it fails through Modify if its compressed?

EDIT: Modify does not successfully remove a feature, it successfully modifies my xml file, tricking the program into running as if the items were removed (running properly), but the actual data is left on the computer.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
blitz89
Level 3

has nobody encountered problems with a compressed install? When compressed, my install's msi (which is properly extracted to the temp folder) cant be found by the installer when attempting a modify of the program.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

We have a Basic MSI project that is set up as a Network Image and Compressed, and do not have any problem with Modify. Have you logged the install to see if that gives you any indication of the problem?

Another quick thought: when you say the MSI file is there, do you mean the original one or the cached one? The cached one will not contain the resource files, so a modify will need access to the original source.
0 Kudos
blitz89
Level 3

well, thanks for the response. Late yesterday I finally found this, which I was coming to post:

http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q107140&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_ERRDOC_1_1&dialogID=33902206&stateId=0%200%2033898866

This got me in the right direction (which I think is where you were going). I meant the MSI file is extracted to the temp folder from the setup.exe. I set the flag to Cache the MSI locally and then it saw it, so now it works.

Is that what you were getting at then? The cached one needed to keep the local source for a modify to access it?

For an uncompressed version, that flag can be set to no and works fine, but I guess thats because the cache needed is right there on the install source?
0 Kudos