cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bthubbard
Level 2

Modifiying DotNetConfig.xsd

Hello All,
This is probably a rather simple question for some of the more experienced users. I am evaluating Installshield 8.0 and I want to use the XML Files Changes tool to add a single line to a preexisting XML file on the target machine.

Visual Studio 2005 includes a file named DotNetConfig.xsd in [Program Files]/Microsoft Visual Studio 8.0/Xml/Schema. It’s possible that end users may have various additions and modifications to this file so I only want to add one line, , without changing any of the other contents.

For example:

I could (hopefully must) be wrong so far. I am attempting to import DotNetConfig.xsd via the XML File Changes View and modify the top level element, since the element I wish to add is immediately below it, but this seems as if it will a) overwrite the entire XSD on the target machine, b) is taking a ridiculously long time to import as processing 5613 XML elements is computationally expensive.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Importing just the (tree to the) element you wish to modify is fine as the XML changes view applies (primarily) surgical changes to the file you modify. The fact that the file has elements not reflected in your changes view merely means that those elements will not have their attributes modified, or be inserted or deleted.
0 Kudos