cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccsuser
Level 3

Mobile Devices Installer

Hello all,

I have create an installer with project type(Install Script MSI) and successfully install software through ActiveSync. But unfortunately, if the installation directory in desktop is in Root Drive(eg: C:\). The installation will not succeed.

My latest finding is that: installing an application through desktop to mobile devices will launch the CEAPPMGR in ActiveSync directory with the ini file as a parameter. It seems that when installing into Root Drive the value that passed to the application is CEAPPMGR c:XXX.ini, which apprently left one backslash!!!

Anybody has any idea? Or is it a bug in InstallShield?

Your help is highly appreciate. Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
davidh
Level 6

Do you see the CEAPPMGR in the log? That might help confirm your findings. Maybe you can manually launch CEAPPMGR if you know the command line you need.
0 Kudos
ccsuser
Level 3

Hello,

1. May I know where do the text file store?
2. Yes, maybe I could start the CEAPPMNGR but how do I stop the install shield to lauch the CEAPPMGNR again?

FYI,
My installer allowed maintanence screen.
I found another problem which is after installing the application into the mobile devices. If I choose Modify the installation, the installer will install the correct one into my desktop but not lauching the CEAPPMNGR while repairing and remove will lauch the CEAPPMNGR!!!:(

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
davidh
Level 6

Look at the InstallCEApps custom action. It sounds like you don't want to launch it during repair. You can try changing the conditions on the custom action perhaps.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

ccsuser,

Would it be possible for you to email me a sample project that reproduces the behavior at hidenoriy@macrovision.com? I cannot reproduce the error when you install onto the root drive in desktop. If not possible, detailed reproduction steps would be helpful as well.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
0 Kudos
ccsuser
Level 3

davidh wrote:
Look at the InstallCEApps custom action. It sounds like you don't want to launch it during repair. You can try changing the conditions on the custom action perhaps.

Hello,

Would you mind to show me how to perform this?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
ccsuser
Level 3

Actually, I would like the Installer to run the installation of cab file for me when modify of installer is click. The modify is run and the cab file is successfully installed into my desktop but the CEAPPMngr will not start when Modify is choosen.
0 Kudos
davidh
Level 6

I believe modify will not reinstall the feature if it is already installed. That is what the repair function should do. This is how all other features work too.

Maybe that is not the behavior you are seeing? What would happen in the following scenario:
1. Start with a setup that has two features: FeatureMobile and FeatureNoMobile. FeatureMobile has your mobile setup associated with it.
2. Install the setup, but only install FeatureNoMobile by choosing custom setup.
3. Modify the setup, and choose the FeatureMobile setup this time.
4. Modify the setup, and choose the same features.

I would expect FeatureMobile to be installed only in step 3, when it is a newly selected feature. So, if you want it to install everytime, perhaps you want repair?
0 Kudos
davidh
Level 6

If you want CEAPPMgr to launch everytime you can just manually launch it yourself rather than relying on the InstallCEApps action.
0 Kudos
ccsuser
Level 3

davidh wrote:
I believe modify will not reinstall the feature if it is already installed. That is what the repair function should do. This is how all other features work too.

Maybe that is not the behavior you are seeing? What would happen in the following scenario:
1. Start with a setup that has two features: FeatureMobile and FeatureNoMobile. FeatureMobile has your mobile setup associated with it.
2. Install the setup, but only install FeatureNoMobile by choosing custom setup.
3. Modify the setup, and choose the FeatureMobile setup this time.
4. Modify the setup, and choose the same features.

I would expect FeatureMobile to be installed only in step 3, when it is a newly selected feature. So, if you want it to install everytime, perhaps you want repair?

Actually in my case here, there are 2 features for different mobile devices. When user choosed some sort of configuration, 1st features will be installed.
If the user modify the setup and choose 2nd feature the 2nd feature will installed in desktop but do not install into the pocket pc(because the CEAppMngr does not start).

I am sorry, after I confirm again with my installer, you are correct. The behavior is like exactly what you describe here.
This is the behavior that I am expecting too. Thanks.
0 Kudos