cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BingMa
Level 4

can't browse catalog in SQLServerSelectLogin dialog

Hi,

I am calling the SQLServerSelectLogin2 function in an installscript project. The browse button for SQL server works. However, when I hit the browse button for catalog, the pop up window is shown, but there is no catalog displayed in the pop up window.

Is there anyone can tell me how can I get it work?

Thank you,

Bing
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Do you specify a valid server name and its credentials on the dialog?
0 Kudos
BingMa
Level 4

Yes, I selected a SQL server from the SQL server combo-box, entered the login ID as "sa" and the password for "sa".
0 Kudos
BingMa
Level 4

I walked around this by adding a custom dialog with a combo-box, with which I can select the database. It works fine.

Well, it will be good if anyone can tell me how I can get the browse catalog function work in SQLServerSelectLogin2.

Thank you,

Bing
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you create a new InstallScript project from scratch, is the problem reproducible? I am not able to reproduce the behavior that you report on my side. Please follow the steps below to verify it:

[LIST=1]
  • Create a new InstallScript project.
  • Add a connection in the SQL Scripts view.
  • Build and run a setup.
  • On the SQLLogin dialog, provide a valid server name and its credentials, and then click the Browse button next to the Catalog field.

Thank you.
  • 0 Kudos
    bradaker
    Level 2

I have the same problem from the SQLLogin dialog box in an InstallShield Basic MSI Project. I enter valid credentials in the login ID and password, and when I select Browse I get nothing (an empty list box I mean). And if I enter the server name in the drop-down's entry field and select Browse (again with valid credentials in the login id and password fields) I still get nothing. Now, if I enter the SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME in the entry field of the drop-down list (because I happen to already know what it is), and I select Next, it does properly connect and continue. But Browse doesn't work.

If the databases I'm looking for are on my local machine it works fine. It just doesn't work if the databases are on another machine. So, thinking maybe there was some kind of firewall issue I turned off the Windows Firewall on the server side, but that had no effect either. And besides, from SQL Server Management Studio on the client it is able to browse and see the server's instances with no problem. It is only from InstallShield that Browse doesn't seem to work when trying to access another machine's instances.

Thanks,

Brad
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

bradaker,

Are you able to browse the server names in question from the Data Sources (ODBC) applet?

[LIST=1]
  • Launch the Administrative Tools | Data Sources applet in Control Panel.
  • Select the User DSN tab and click the Add button. The “Create New Data Source” panel should be displayed.
  • Select “SQL Server” and click Finish. The “Create a New Data Source to SQL Server” wizard should be displayed.
  • Click the drop button of the “Server” combo box, and see if server names in question are listed.
  • 0 Kudos