cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelter
Level 10

Microsoft retires Visual Studio Installer in favor of InstallShield

I got this email from FlexEra.

Can someone point me to some official press release from MS regarding this? Is MS actually going to get rid of Visual Studio Deployment Projects in the next revision, or are they simply recommending that advanced installation projects use InstallShield?

We have a history of supporting VS. We also release some merge modules so that our customers can easily package our functionality with theirs. Since our customers all use VS, we were going to release a sample installation project (.vdproj) that already includes our merge modules, so that our customers can just add their components and customizations, and be ready to deploy.

An official press release from MSDN might be enough for me to get PM to decide to release an IS sample instead of a VS sample.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This has been linked by Stefan's InstallSite Blog article Microsoft will retire Visual Studio Installer.
0 Kudos
sirhaden
Level 3

I also could not find any press release nor other notification indicating such a move. I certainly hope this is not the case. The amount of bugs in even the latest version of InstallShield are very concerning. Some of the bugs being encountered are several years old and have not been addressed. Others are so obvious that it appears the QA team is not doing thier job, or they don't exist...
0 Kudos