cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

Hi,
I'm using InstallShield 2009 Premier Edition.
I need that my setup execute "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)" (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en).
I prefer not to add this file and execute it.
I want to know which Redistributable i need from the Redistributable list of InstallShield i need to mark.

I found out that VB6 Redistributable Package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7B9BA261-7A9C-43E7-9117-F673077FFB3C&displaylang=en) is called in InstallShield "Microsoft Visual Basic Virtual Machine 6.0".

Please help me:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Sairen
Level 7

The redistributable package you linked here has a lot of different parts to it. You've got the CRT, ATL, MFC, and a bunch of others. Go back to MS' page for full details.

Find out from your developers, if you can, exactly which parts you need. Might be all of them, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

What's worked for me is using merge modules (MSMs) provided by Microsoft. There's one (actually, two with the policy MSM) per component mentioned above. These MSMs are difficult, if not impossible, to find online. But any computer with Visual Studio will have them, typically in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules

Include those as redistributables in your project, and away you go. Best of luck.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

First of all thanks!
In case i need them all,is there a way to execute the c++ 2008 redistributable exe file via my installation?
i tried to do that (custom actions) but the setup crash beacuse it seem that this setup can not run if another setup is running (my setup=the root setup).

Thanks again,
Yariv
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

How about creating a (Feature) Prerequisite?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

That what i did!:)
My setup work perfectly now (until QA checks 🙂 )

Thanks!
0 Kudos
edpaffjr
Level 3

I just created a prerequisite for visual c++ 2008 redistributable as well. Did you also enter any conditions to stop the prerequisite from running if it is already installed?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Installshied identifier automatically any installation that already installed (obviously prerequisite installation) so you don't need to add any condition.

Good Luck,
Yariv
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

edpaffjr wrote:
I just created a prerequisite for visual c++ 2008 redistributable as well. Did you also enter any conditions to stop the prerequisite from running if it is already installed?

Since there is not a specific detection mechanism designed, for instance you could check the presence of a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID}.
0 Kudos
edpaffjr
Level 3

Thanks, checking the registry uninstall information works perfectly!
0 Kudos