cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vijayakumar
Level 6

Merging 2 ism files

Hi,

Is there a way to merge 2 ism files and get the changes made in common ism file??

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I'm not aware of an option to merge two project files, though you can copy and paste (or export and import) elements from one project to another.

Perhaps also see the MSI help topic "Merge Two Databases" along with the related WiMerge.vbs script sample that ships with the MSI Platform SDK.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Do you mean a simple source control branch/merge type problem or a full blown combine two seperate installers into a single install?
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

I am working on a copy of ism file and my colleage is working with the same copy of the .ism file. So, we have the same .ism file with changes done.

Now i need to include all his changes in my .ism file?

Is there a specific tool or a way to achieve this??

I also checked with the 'MSIPackageDiff' option provided with the installshield. Is it advisible to export the tables and import in my .ism file?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Do you have a source control tool? If so, and you save the .ISM in XML format ( text ) it should be as easy as

1) Check in original ISM
2) Developer 1 checks out and starts editing
3) Developer 2 checks out and starts editing
4) Developer 1 checks in
5) Developer 2 attempts check-in and is told there is a conflict

The SCC tool should then give you options for resolving the conflict and merging the changes back together. Then you just run the ISM through your automated build process and validate the output.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Depending on the nature of the changes, there are also DIMs, prerequisites, and all that kind of thing...
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

yes we are using Perforce(Source Control). But, i believe perforce doesnt provide a way to merge two binary files(.ism). When i try to merge, perforce shows that there is some conflict, but i m unable to merge, as these are installshield specific files.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Change the InstallShield project type from Binary ( MSI Database format ) to XML.
0 Kudos
vijayakumar
Level 6

Hi Chris,

I dont find the option to change the InstallShield project type in Perforce. Can u help me how do i do this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You change it in InstallShield under Installation Information | General Information | Project Properties | Profect File Format
0 Kudos