cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tosiabunio
Level 2

Detecting the end of installation

I am starting setup.exe from my autorun.exe via ShellExecute, which is supposed to handle UAC and other stuff. The autorun.exe waits for setup.exe to finish and then starts installed application.

It runs okay from the folder, but when placed in ISO file and mounted, everything changes. In such case, autorun.exe receives info that setup.exe has finished immediately after it's started, so it attempts to run the application while the installation is still in progress.

I suspect that this is because ISO is not writable and setup.exe starts new copy of itself from writable location (e.g. temp folder or something). Unfortunately ,u autorun.exe doesn't have any handle to that process and can't wait for it to finish.

How can I detect that the setup has finished (successfully or not, it doesn't matter)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
deepika_sharma
Level 2

the following can be an approach
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368560(VS.85).aspx

but is there any other event or something by which we can find out the setup finished successfully or not?
0 Kudos
tosiabunio
Level 2

My solution was to write a file (semafor) at the end of installation to sign that the process over. That worked for me.
0 Kudos