cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kudos7
Level 2

Memory error trying to build

All,

I get "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" appear in the Output console whenever I attempt to build the project. This immediately stops the build. The total project is only about 400Mb if that, so I would think IS would deal with it.
As there are many hours invested in it I would rather not rebuild everything if that's possible, and any suggestions of a strategy to locate the problem would also be apreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the help topic "Building a Project", which has information about increasing the heap size for the InstallShield development environment...
0 Kudos
Kudos7
Level 2

I am asuming you are reffering to the folllowing note from the manual:

"CAUTION If a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is received, then the size of your project is too large for the
default heap size setting, which is 16MB. You can increase this in the following properties:
• The Java Arguments property of Distributions or the Launcher
• The Bundled JVM Arguments property of a JVM Resolution Action or the Uninstaller JVM
Resolution
• A .ja file located in the same directory as the build output
The syntax for increasing the heap size is as follows:
%IF_EXISTS%("INIT_HEAP_SIZE", "@INIT_HEAP_SIZE@20m")
%IF_EXISTS%("MAX_HEAP_SIZE", "@MAX_HEAP_SIZE@40m")"

Are these changes not to increase the heap size of the resulting build. My problem is in during the build itself from the IS GUI. Is there any way to give IS more memory. I have tried rebuilding the project from scratch but still get the same problem.

Is there a way of increasing the heap size for IS?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The InstallShield builder executable is the same type of executable created as output, so you can create a .ja file to modify Java properties. See perhaps this thread: [thread]60834[/thread], changing ISMP.ja to InstallShieldMultiPlatform.ja or InstallShieldMultiPlatformCommandLineBuild.ja as appropriate...
0 Kudos