cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Many CreateFolder Entries...

Hi all,

I'm using InstallShield 2015 and while trouble shooting another issue I noticed that there are a ton of entries in the CreateFolder table where there were virtually none before (InstallShield 2013).

I added a new component yesterday, for example, and there are now two entries in there for it...

INSTALLDIR     AP_MyCo.resources.dll
FR_CA3 AP_MyCo.resources.dll

Both of those directories have had a ton of stuff in there. Why are these directory entries being created? The actual target location is FR_CA3.

My method of adding the new components was to select the proper Feature in the Files and Folders view. Then expand the folders to the destination folder. Find the source folder in the pane above and drag and drop the file into the right pane of the destination area.

Am I doing something that would cause these entries? Is there an Options setting that would prevent this from happening?

Please Advise! :eek:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
Superfreak3
Level 11

I've double checked this and it seems that every time I add a new component there are two records created in the CreateFolder, INSTALLDIR and the actual target directory. For our application there is one file in INSTALLDIR (an .ico file) and most if not all of the other target directories will already be created and have contents as well.

This did not seem to be the behavior in 2013 so what changed, why and is this behavior controlled by some Tools->Options item?

I've read that CreateFolder entries can cause problems with patch removability and I don't want unnecessary in that table if it can be helped.

I hope someone out there has some info on this.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

There was, in fact, a bug in InstallShield 2015 that was causing unnecessary CreateFolder entries when components were added. IS Support did provide a Hotfix .dll that seems to have taken care of the problem.

I was told that for 2016, the upgrade will also clean up the CreateFolder table. The .dll provided did not do that, but did cease the unnecessary entries when components are added.

The only problem is that the installation created for our new web app has 1700+ entries in that table and some of those are most likely valid. I'm hoping they can help me out.
0 Kudos
Jamesbo
Level 5

Is the hotfix available without a lot of hoopla (such as opening a support case)? Hopefully they'll push out an update...
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Jamesbo wrote:
Is the hotfix available without a lot of hoopla (such as opening a support case)? Hopefully they'll push out an update...

They provided a \System .dll after opening a case.

They also indicated that patch removal could be a problem if the issue(s) within the table are not resolved. I have a new app deploying in about two weeks and there are 1700 records I need to somehow weed through. That will be error prone to say the least.

As far as an update from them, they are slating the fix for v2016. I would have thought this serious enough to warrant a more widely available hotifix for 2015.

It is being tracked as IOJ-1753850.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Here's what I did to weed through all the garbage entries in the CreateFolder table...

First, I changed the Component view to 'Show Only Nodes with Data'. This made the empty components stand out.
I then checked each of those empty components to see if they were a parent directory to subfolders that contain files. If so, the component was deleted, thus deleting the corresponding CreateFolder entry.
If the component was an empty folder that should actually be installed, it was noted for table cleanup and left as is.

This pretty much got me through the AllOtherFiles components.

That then made it easier to eliminate all the other CreateFolder entries as I know they contained files (.dll components) or were aptly named by me for importance.

I then compared the file system post install to a previous build containing all the garbage entries and everything seemed to match up OK.

What a mess!
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Well, we've come across the first issue as a result of the CreateFolder table cleanup.

I mistakenly removed an entry in that table associated with setting permissions on a folder. Ok, no big deal. I'll just reset the permissions. NOT that easy!

The ISLockPermsissions entry looks as it did before and there does appear to be a corresponding entry created in the CreateFolder table, but the permissions are not applied. :mad:
0 Kudos
Jamesbo
Level 5

Did you solve the issue?

I've only had ISLockPermissions entries for registry entries. Was their some other table entry pointed at the wrong thing?
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Jamesbo wrote:
Did you solve the issue?

I've only had ISLockPermissions entries for registry entries. Was their some other table entry pointed at the wrong thing?

Yes I simply re-added the associated component entry in the CreateFolder table and all was good - at least up until now. 😛
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Any idea what caused the garbage entries in the CreateFolder table?
I migrated from IS 2013 to IS 2015 SP1 a year ago and do not have that problem with my InstallScript MSI projects.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

rguggisberg wrote:
Any idea what caused the garbage entries in the CreateFolder table?
I migrated from IS 2013 to IS 2015 SP1 a year ago and do not have that problem with my InstallScript MSI projects.

It was an InstallShield bug and after putting a corrected .dll in place, I no longer get the junk entries when adding things to the install.

I'm dealing with Basic MSI projects so maybe InstallScript was not effected.
0 Kudos