cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wayne_Yue
Level 3

Manually created desktop shortcuts contain blank targets on Major Upgrade (IS 2008)

Manually created desktop shortcuts contain blank targets on Major Upgrade (IS 2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran into the issue of "Manually created desktop shortcuts contain blank targets (IS 2008)" on MAJOR upgrade. ie. the shortcuts fail after the upgrade.

I tried changing the shortcuts to "No" Advertised (it was "Yes" in the previous project), and then upgrade .. same problem.

I tried changing the "Major upgrade settings" to "Install setup then remove unneeded files", and then upgrade .. same problem.

I tried both together, still the same problem. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks..

Wayne :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Could you provide some additional information:
- What project type are you working with?
- How specifically is this shortcut being created? Are you calling the InstallScript AddFolderIcon function? Are you using the Shortcuts view?
0 Kudos
Wayne_Yue
Level 3

It is a Basic MSI project, no InstallScript.
We use the shortcuts view, "Yes" Advertised for all the shortcuts.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There aren't many reasons a shortcut could break after a major upgrade. You mentioned that the upgrade is set to "install setup then remove unneeded files." Does the "completely uninstall old setup before installing new setup" option also encounter this behavior? Can you post a verbose log of the upgrade that breaks the shortcut (along with the feature/component name that contains the shortcut)?
0 Kudos