cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christoph
Level 8

Make repair possible

All,

I have a basic msi project with, let's say an application that exists out of 1 exe and 5 dll's(to make it easy).

The exe is linked statically to a component, and set as the key file, while the dll's are linked dynamically into another component.

For the rest I did not change any default setting.

After installation, when I manually remove the exe of the application, and I try to start the application via the shortcut, I assumed that the setup automatically start a repair but this doesn't happen.

Is it because I linked the dll's dynamically instead of statically or did I miss something else here...?

** Update **
I have made the shortcut(who point to the exe and is created on the desktop and in the startmenu) advertised. When you now launch the shortcut, the installer jumps into repair mode when its 'linked' exe is not existing anymore. However, when a (dynamic linked) dll is missing, the repair mode is not enabled.

Anyone an idea if it is possible to enable repair mode for dynamic linked files?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DebbieL
Level 17

Yes, as you suspected, the problem is probably occurring because the DLL files are dynamically linked. It is strongly recommended that you avoid using dynamic file links for critical executable files—such as .exe, .dll, or .ocx files—especially if your product requires them in order to run successfully.

In case you're interested in some background, the "Using the By-Directory Method" section of the following help topic explains how InstallShield creates components for dynamically linked files in InstallShield 2008:
Determining the Appropriate Component Creation Method for Dynamically Linked Files

The section called "Using the Best Practice Method" describes a new feature of InstallShield 2009.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos