cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

Installing Java in Basic UI mode

Note the installation of Java is only necessary with a specific feature of my install, thus installing Java as a Prerequisite is not viable.

Thus I have a custom action that installs Java:

Type: Launch an executable
Source: \jre-6u5-windows-i586-p-s.exe
Target: /v"/qb IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=1"

This has been working fine with Version 6 Update 5, but now I want to upgrade the Java package to Version 6 Update 10 (or 11). However, neither package works (tested directly on the stand alone Java package), they fall over with "cannot access Network Location 0" if I try to run them with the /qb switch. Running them silently works, but there is no visual clue to the user that anything is running and in my package the user would think it has locked up. Running them in full UI mode works too, but I don't want the user to see the full Java UI.

I have tried to raise a support call with Sun, but their support monkeys just don't understand what I am talking about and return completely useless random precompiled EMails that contain a few keyworks that I mentioned.

Has anyone else come across this problem and know the solution? Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If the change that makes it fail is in their package, as you already realized, you will probably need information or fixes from them in order to resolve it. However, if it works well from a prerequisite except for the feature association problem, you may want to evaluate InstallShield 2009. InstallShield 2009 introduced "feature prerequisites" which allow you to associate the installation of a prerequisite with one or more features.
0 Kudos
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

I would love to get Feature specific pre requisite functionality, but I convinced my company to upgrade from IS11.5 to IS2008 last year for the advertised Vista support - and frankly it has been a waste of money with only minor cosmetic changes noticeable.

I find the pricing policy of Installshield ridiculously expensive for upgrades, exspecially for upgrades taken to get basic functionality (or worse -bug fixes) that should have been in the product from the start.
0 Kudos